8 Ways to Keep Your Patients Coming Back
You’ve worked hard to establish and build your practice, gain confidence with other physicians to increase referrals and do your marketing homework. Now, how do you keep the patients that you have? At the Institute of Podiatric Excellence and Development (IPED) we get to hear from many podiatric professionals with a good deal of experience. Many times, it’s small but impactful actions that make patients glad they come to their practice. Below are 8 you should not overlook.
- Record an appealing greeting-it all starts with a phone call. Be sure the greeting on your phone is cheerful and the music when a patient is put on hold is pleasant.
- Keep an attractive office—first impressions matter and the décor and condition of your office subliminally set your patient’s mood for the medical encounter to follow. Fresh flowers and life, well-cared for plants along with pleasing art and neat stacks of current magazines will create a relaxing and soothing atmosphere.
- Keep wait times down—nothing leaves a worse taste in a patient’s mouth than being kept waiting to be seen for an excessively long period of time. Emergencies do happen and if being late was unavoidable, be sure to apologize.
- Be a people person—cultivate good communication skills. Look patients in the eye, put a hand on the shoulder and take time to really listen to what they’re saying. Develop relationships that will build confidence and help your patient be invested in your practice.
- Return follow-up and question phone calls to patients promptly.
- Get your patients’ reports back to referring physicians in a timely manner.
- Make it easier to understand diagnoses. Have brochures and literature available that patients can take home regarding their diagnosis. A model of the foot and ankle can also be a helpful visual aid in explaining the exact nature of a podiatric problem and its treatment.
- Be patient. A satisfied patient is one who leaves your office feeling like they understand their diagnosis and treatment plan and, are assured that they can always get a hold of you for more information if necessary.
Little things can make a big difference when it comes to patient retention rates. Practice management is just one area IPED can assist you with. Learn more about the benefits of membership by contacting us at: 978-296-7634.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.