It’s appropriate (and desirable) for a growing practice to experience an increase in number of patients and workload. As the office gets busier, however, cracks in time management and efficiency may begin to appear. From our varied membership of podiatric professionals at all stages of their practice life, from brand new practitioners to veterans getting ready to retire, the Institute of Podiatric Excellence and Development (IPED) has culled the following time management tips to help you keep your practice on track while saving your sanity:
- Start by reviewing your mission statement and make sure that your actions are aiming toward your mission. Do this periodically to help cut time spent on activities that are not in your plan.
- Set goals. Do this monthly, and then weekly and daily.
- Get the biggest, “ugliest” tasks out of the way first.
- On particularly busy days, follow the KRA (Key Result Area) principle and get those jobs done first that will have the biggest impact.
- Never start your day late—in fact, getting to the office even 15 or 20 minutes before everyone else gives you a chance to envision your day and be ready to hit the ground running when your staff arrives.
- Only handle a piece of paper once—read and then file, pass on or throw out.
- Keep your desk well organized and take time at the end of the day to put anything that is out of place back where it belongs. Not only will this create a more positive start to the following day, it will also cut down on time spent looking for pens, the stapler and other common items.
- Handle phone calls efficiently. If you don’t have much time for a conversation, start the call with an opening line such as: “Good afternoon Joe, I only have a few minutes but I wanted to touch base with you about…” When you need the call to end, use the past tense to signal you’re finished: “It has been great speaking with you, Ellen.”
Learning practice management tips are just one of the many advantages members of IPED receive. We offer webinars, blogs, videos and good old-fashioned face to face meetings with colleagues to help your practice be as successful as possible. If you’re interested in joining, contact us at: 978-296-7634.