Having Excellent Externships
At the Institute of Podiatric Excellence and Development (IPED), we believe that one of the best ways we can help our members is by enabling them to share their perspectives and strategies for success. Students can benefit from the experience of those who have tried the same educational path. For the fourth year podiatric student, externships are an exciting learning experience. Often, however, students are uncertain about what the expectations are for them. Below are some tips to help you maximize your externship experience and leave an impressive mark as a student.
• Be prepared. Before your externship begins, read all articles published by the program you will be attending. If you are not sure what specific reading to do, contact the externship program two weeks before your start date. This will show that you are proactive and demonstrate a willingness to learn and make the most of your externship.
• Think of an externship as a month-long interview. Stay professional at all times in both work and social settings. Don’t make the mistake of letting your guard down and gossiping or bad-mouthing a colleague.
• Be confident, not arrogant. It’s okay to share what you’ve learned and to apply it practically in a clinical setting but don’t act like a know-it-all. Take advantage of where you are and ask questions of fellow rotating externs, attending physicians and residents.
• Stay positive. This will help you extract as much as possible from experience and give the most favorable impression to those you are working with.
• Go above and beyond. Be willing to lend a helping hand to the residents and attending physicians. If you are concerned about appearing pushy or overbearing, ask how you can be of help.
• Have fun exploring your city. Use your time off to participate in all that the city has to offer. It’s a great way to de-stress and also meet new people.
At IPED, we’re committed to helping podiatric professionals at all stages of their careers. To learn more about what benefits our members enjoy, contact us by calling: 978-296-7634.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.